There are so many options when it comes to choosing a conveyancer in Melbourne. So, how do you find a good conveyancer for your next property transaction?
For many people, selling, buying or building a house is a big decision and often, the place we call home will be the most valuable asset we will ever own. Searching for, relocating, renovating, decorating and settling into our homes requires a great deal of time, energy and of course, funds.
So, whether it’s your first home or long-term family home, buying or selling property can be a daunting and stressful experience. This can all be made easier by finding a good conveyancer to support you on your property journey.
What is conveyancing?
Conveyancing is the administrative process behind the ownership transfer of a property or title from one individual (or entity) to another. Conveyancing is a complex process including various financial, administrative and legal formalities. It is crucial that this process is carried out correctly.
Conveyancing in Melbourne involves preparing or reviewing a sales contract, home loan, and other related documents required when someone is buying or selling a home, land or investment property. There is a significant amount of work involved in the conveyancing process, so it is recommended to pick a good conveyancer early in the buying or selling process. A good conveyancer will become an essential part of your property journey.
What is a conveyancer?
A licensed conveyancer is an individual who oversees and manages the transfer of property and the preparation of any legal documents required for the transaction. An experienced conveyancer will help you navigate these complexities while providing sound knowledge and advice to help you avoid any potential pitfalls.
What defines a good conveyancer?
As with most professions, not all conveyancers are equal. A good conveyancer has a high level of experience and extensive knowledge regarding property law and the property settlement process. A good conveyancer in Melbourne also has the following qualities:
- Qualified and experienced: A good conveyancer will be registered, licensed and meet all requirements regarding experience, knowledge and qualifications. A conveyancer equipped with such extensive training has a unique skill set and the knowledge to manage complex legal issues that may occur during a property transaction.
- Good communicator: A conveyancer with good communication skills will explain issues and processes clearly and succinctly. Conveyancers regularly need to clarify complex legal information to their clients, so it is vital they can make it understandable to people without a legal background. They should listen to your concerns and needs and provide clear explanations in simple terms. A conveyancer will liaise with several people throughout your property transaction, including buyers, sellers, real estate agents, lending institutions and more, so effective communication is paramount to avoid any conflict and misunderstanding.
- Professionalism: A good conveyancer will always remain professional, transparent and honest. They will show a great deal of integrity and sound judgment and will handle your transaction with positivity, sensitivity and capability. Conveyancing is a complex and specialised area of law, and a good conveyancer will be proficient in all areas of it. They should quickly adapt to changing situations, be flexible and never compromise on delivering a quality service.
- Good time management: The conveyancing process comes with strict timelines and deadlines that need to be met. A time-efficient conveyancer will be able to ensure you meet all your legal requirements promptly to ensure a smooth and timely property settlement.
- Accessible and local: Due to the vital role a conveyancer plays during a property transaction, it is important that they are available when you need them – either face-to-face or online. Appointing a conveyancer who understands your local area is also essential. It’s important to select a conveyancer who has a presence in your region and has ready knowledge regarding the local council, city and relevant legislations.
- Problem solver: The conveyancing process often involves unearthing problems and figuring out the most effective way to solve them. A good conveyancer will thoroughly research all angles of the issue and use their experience and sound judgement to deliver timely solutions.
How do I pick a good conveyancer?
When embarking on a property transaction and picking a good conveyancer, it’s important to look at the details of your own needs to help choose the right professional. For example, some conveyancers specialise in different types of real estate, and some deal with more complex property transactions. Understanding your own needs and complexities and asking questions will help you to pick the best conveyancer for your needs.
Questions to ask a conveyancer:
- What are your qualifications and how many years of experience do you have?
- Are you a member of the Australian Institute of Conveyancers?
- What types of property do you specialise in?
- What are your fees and charges? Are there any additional costs involved?
- How will you communicate with me and how often? Will meetings be face-to-face or online?
- How long will the conveyancer process take?
- What are the timeframes for settlement day?
- Do you have insurance protection?
When you have found a good conveyancer, we suggest a brief background check to ensure they are legally allowed to carry out the work and have no complaints against them. The profession is bound by strict rules of conduct so thankfully, negative experiences are rare.
At Right Choice Conveyancing, we understand that the settlement process can be challenging and complicated for first home buyers and sellers. We are here to provide you with knowledge, support and the best advice to protect your interests and avoid any potential pitfalls.
Right Choice Conveyancing offers the full range of expert conveyancing and property services for residential and commercial property to both buyers and sellers. Picking a good conveyancer in Melbourne at the earliest stages of your property journey will ensure the journey towards settlement is efficient, timely and successful.
Contact us today to learn more about how to pick a good conveyancer, the conveyancing process or engage our professional services.